ALDERSHOT TOWN COMMUNITY TRUST DOUBLE CLUB
National Literacy Award Winner
‘The Aldershot Town Community Trust Double Club’ was piloted with Connaught Secondary School in 2011. The project involves children identified by the school staying after school hours for 45 minutes of additional literacy or numeracy work. This is then followed by 45 minutes of sport provided by the Aldershot Town Community Trust coaches. The coaches also have a presence during the academic lesson to offer support and encouragement to the students. In 2012 and 2015 the ‘Double Club’ Project run between the Aldershot Town Community Trust and Connaught Secondary School received National recognition when the project was awarded the Literacy Action Net Award whilst also raising the attainment levels of participants.
The Community Trust currently delivers the ‘Double Club’ Project to a host of local secondary and primary schools with course content tailored to meet the schools needs. If you require any further information or wish to book a double club please contact the Community Trust. Detailed below are the requirements and costs of the double club:
Requirements from the school:
All schools need to:
- Provide a teacher (or suitable member of staff) to deliver classroom sessions, once per week
- Select 20-30 (year 5/6 or year 10/11) boys and girls who enjoy sport and who would benefit from some extra class work and sports coaching.
- Provide a classroom and an outdoor football area (and an inside option in case of bad weather / dark afternoons).
- Provide attendance and pupil data
- £30 per session for the coach. Club runs in 8 week blocks £30 × 8 = £240)
- £100 – certificates, prizes & end of year tournament
- Total cost to the school per block = £340 per term